If you’ve spent any time considering the options for advertising your home or small business, you will realise there are quite a few options. Some may be well out of your budget for now, but what about the rest. How do you choose the way to get the most value for your money? And to get noticed in your local community?
Some of the printed mediums that are tried out by business people are flyers, local community papers and advertising booklets such as Rietmark. But how do you determine which is the best advertising medium for you? And how do you know that an advertising company or newspaper will treat you right once you commit to doing your advertising through them?
Well, here are 5 things I recommend you check out before parting with your hard-earned cash:
1. Fly-by-nights – yes, these abound in the advertising world. People who are trying to make a quick buck, and then closing shop or simply disappearing. Advertising with any company should be a long term commitment, so make sure the booklet or newspaper you’re considering has a solid track record over a number of years.
2. Detailed information – all the information you need should be readily and easily available, either in the Rate Card, on the company’s website, or simply with a telephone call to the company’s office or sales agents. These include circulation figures for the different areas, so that you can compare ‘apples with apples’ when comparing prices. When you sign an advertising contract, you should have a clear idea about what is expected from you and the company – practical details such as the designing of your ads, the possibility and costs of regular ad changes and the monthly cut-off dates for new bookings and payments.
3. Quality from A-Z – expect quality printing on premium paper. This not only reflects positively on the advertising company, but also on the companies advertising in that publication. The advertising agent can also make or break your experience. Look for a company with friendly, knowledgeable (and not-too-pushy!) advertising agents and office staff. And last but not the least – make sure about distribution of the flyers, newspapers or booklets. Distribution areas should be clearly indicated, and should be done on time, every time.
4. Value added services – once you are advertising with a company, can they also assist you with accompanying, value added products? For instance business cards, office stationery, promotional gifts and signage. Working through one supplier is convenient, and by ordering various products, you could even save on items such as graphic design and bulk courier fees.
5. Testimonials – Finally, look for customer testimonials from satisfied businesses who have advertised with the company in the past. Look at their website – most companies will have at least a few testimonials to show you, proving in a way that the services they provide are both legit and above par. Or phone the businesses that are currently advertising in the publication you’re interested in.
So there you have it! Those are just a few of the things I recommend you look for in a top-notch advertising company.
I look forward to hearing about your future advertising plans with Rietmark!