We’re at the end of one of the biggest recessions of the last century, and Rietmark feels lucky to be one of the businesses that survived the crunch. But really, it wasn’t luck, but hard work, customer loyalty, out-of-the-box thinking, general cost cutting and most of all grace that brought us here.
Fortunately all the signs are there for a brighter future from 2011, so now is the time to actively make plans to grow your business. Business owners can still try to grow their businesses by cutting costs, but that will only works up to a point. You will achieve better long-term results by growing your client base – yes, focus on attracting more customers!
Read here for six ways to find new customers:
1. References from happy customers: when you make a successful sale, ask your customer if he is happy with your product or service. If so, ask him to provide you with names of three persons that will also benefit from your product or service. Chances are that this method will keep you quite busy, following up all the leads.
2. Join your local business chamber: by attending their meetings, you get the opportunity to meet other business owners. Eventually this may turn into mutually beneficially business relationships, and more customers for your business. For instance, in Pretoria you may join the Capital City Business Chamber, with branches across Pretoria. Have a look at their website at www.ccbc.co.za.
3. Develop a website: market your products or service on your own website, or on a professional or service-related business index. Watch the Rietmark website at www.rietmark.co.za. From early 2011 we have great plans for a new look and feel, with a google-friendly business index and much more.
4. Start a newsletter: such a newsletter can be printed or distributed online. Or share your knowledge in a regular column in a local newspaper. In this way you establish yourself as a leader in your field, attracting more potential customers.
5. Start networking: the more people you know, or the more people that know about you and your business, the greater the chance of getting more customers. Use every opportunity to network and to meet new people.
6. Advertise: place an advertisement in Rietmark, and get known in your local community. Rietmark was established in 1997 (read the story) and currently distributes 60 000 monthly booklets in Pretoria Moot, North and East.